Sunday, May 4, 2008

First Day at the Orphanage

We woke up on Friday morning to a scream of 'EVERYBODY' which is the call that our cook has to wake us up and tell us that our awesome breakfast of baguettes, laughing cow cheese aka 'la vache qui rit' cheese and fresh pinapple. I was not dissapointed to say the least.
Our plan for the day was to stop by each of the places that we will be working at while we are here. The children are halirous, hugging and jumping on us as soon as we got there. The boys were a little more tame. One girl took Rosie's sunglasses right away, put them on her face, and started strutting around, acessorizing with someone else's purse. It was adorable.
Because the children are often lacking in nutrition where they are staying, we handed out bananas and stuff. When we offered the fruit to the children, they crossed their arms, then held our their hands. It confused me pretty good, because I thought they were turning down the fruit, but I found out later that it was a sign of respect, like a 'thank-you'.
Anyways, I'm off to wash the dishes, and I will tell you about my weekend soon.

No comments: