Thursday, June 26, 2008

Last weekend in Vietnam... weird

Well, here I am, last weekend in Tam Ky. I'm excited to go home, I'm already making lists for what kind of food I want to devour once I get there
(smoked salmon on a bagel, nachos, something with stuffing, bbq, a familiar burger)
and I'm looking forward to the friends that I haven't seen in 2 months, sometimes more.
We are planning on stopping into the orphanages one more time. It's going to be weird saying goodbye. I mean, I did say my biggest goodbye to Hong a week and a half ago, but I still really loved the rest of the kids.
Our cooks are amazing too. I dont think I've talked about them enough. Grandma is quite traditional, she speaks hardly any english but can get her point across with a lkot of pointing and gentle laugh at the end. Her calm demeanor and sweet sniff kisses are enough to show us her personality. (Just yesterday she said Ba yeu Dani which mean grandma loves me!) You can't push Grandma around though, a little while ago, a man grabbed her chest at the beach and she punched him right in the face.
Mrs Haun is Grandma's daughter in law and stands about 4'8. She is trying very hard to learn english, and has gotten pretty good at it. We know that it's time to eat when we hear her bellow 'everybody!'Otherwise, it took a few daystounderstand her pidgon english, but after a few weeks I can communicate with her no problem. Her sentences are adorable, eg. Dani eat very small! you no like eat? (meaning why arent you eating very much, do you not like the food?)
I'm going to miss the two of them a lot.
At the same time, I miss my own grandmother, my friends and my family... I think I'm ready to go back.

No comments: